Friday, October 9, 2009

Zack and I have returned from our travels. We traveled to different places, but each had a great time. I traveled to spend time with Kaki Ussery in Paris. It was so great to see her. Between having my parents come and visiting Kaki, I feel like I have a lot of home with me here. France was the first European country I ever visited, and I absolutely fell in love with it. In fact, I went back the very next year to see it again (thanks mom and dad!). So it had been 6 years since I've been. It was very interesting seeing it through my 23 year old eyes that have now seen a lot more of Europe, and now live in. Paris still holds a lot of beauty to me, but I realized that what drew me to it originally was the european architecture, the city structure, and the lifestyle- all of which I participate in here in Oxford. So anyways, Kaki was a wonderful host who astounded me with her culinary skills! Last time I remember Kaki in the kitchen was when she lit a paper towel on fire trying to make Ramen Noodles :) I had a wonderful French breakfast every morning that Kaki would go retrieve for us. But to appreciate how much Kaki loves her guests, you have to know this... Kaki lives on the 8th floor (actually the 9th because they call the 1st floor the ground floor) and her elevator is out of service. This was by far the lowest part of the trip. But we climbed up and down it several times a day, and had to carry a suitcase. I really enjoyed meeting people from Kaki's church group. We had breakfast one morning with the leader, Jeff. Also, two of her friends were nice enough to drive us to Ikea so I could buy some cheap house stuff. I also attended Sunday night group which I enjoyed because I got to see the intimacy of Kaki's church group. Other than these things, Kaki was nice enough to let me go around to take some pictures of Paris with my digital camera- when I went both times before, I had a film camera. So here are some of those pictures...



I put this picture on here because I am fascinated by the mysterious object at the top center of the picture. It looks like a bird, but the wings are neon red. So either this is a camera glitch, someone trying to sell miniature airplanes, or the Holy Spirit making an appearance in my picture.

Notre Dame


A clock at the Musee d'Orsay. I love this clock because if you are inside the building, you can see the clock in reverse.

This is Sacre Coeur. Kaki and I were lucky enough to be at Notre Dame and here when there were services going on. It was so moving to here the choirs singing while viewing the church.
This was a giant disco ball that was in Luxembourg Gardens for the Nuite Blanche (some party in the city of Paris). But this is actually the only picture I got of Kaki and I together which I feel bad about, but at the same time, think this is a cool picture!
This is Shakespeare and Company. It was the first English bookstore in Paris. I found it so interesting because it was so overloaded with books, as you can see.
This is Zack: The next two pictures document the "accommodations" during my trip to Dorset. It was a converted pig barn. The trip was really great, primarily because I met all my classmates, who are really nice people. The comfort level was not amazing as you might assume. The bathroom is the brown wooden addition in the first picture.

This is Zack in his "smart clothes" for his induction dinner. He was told he had to "dress smart" and we had to figure out what that meant. But I was excited because he finally shaved! He also finally met John Lennox at the party and is going to have lunch with him sometime!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment