Sorry I haven’t updated the blog in a while, but that is because there has been a lack of exciting things to write about. We are settling into a normal life here. Zack’s classes are going well. Oxford is so different from other universities that he is trying to understand the flow of work. For example, Oxford’s semesters are only 8 weeks long. Another interesting thing about Oxford is that it is this pristine college, but the most loosely organized we have experienced. But Zack is enjoying gleaning from his professors and fellow classmates.
I am actively looking for a job. I am technically hired by Blue Arrow Catering which is a foodservice temp agency, but the work is very sporadic so hopefully a full time job will come through soon. For those who don’t know, I am starting online classes in January through Washington State University for Organic Agriculture. I can’t wait to start and my dad had the good idea of me starting to read the material for the classes. So Zack got me the book from the library (because I am not allowed in the libraries) “Out of the Soil” by Daniel Hillel and I am enjoying it. So I am trying to make my days feel more productive by reading this book.
Zack and I have been attending a programme at St. Aldates for postgrads on Tuesday nights. It’s really great because they serve us a meal and we get to fellowship with Christians who are postgrads. Francois is the leader and, if you could not tell from his name, he is very French. He just asked Zack and me to lead a small group. After worship and a talk we break up into small groups and Zack and I are leading the “mixed” group. Most of the groups are divided into guys and girls, so we take the people who are married, engaged, or who just don’t want to be in an all guys/ girls group. So we are excited to do this, and would also appreciate your prayers for it, as we have never led a group before.
Well, I also have to admit that Zack and I are getting a little homesick. I think this is only natural. I don’t know how people move here by themselves, it seems like it would be so hard. So we are looking forward to a visit from Greg (Zack’s dad) in November, and also a visit home December 21- January 5.
So here are the latest pictures. The first one is only funny to those who know Zack.

This is me trying to find an element of the "harvest season" in Oxford. They don't really celebrate fall like we do in the States. So this is a pumpkin that I found in the Botanical Gardens.
This is Zack in his Subfusc. In Oxford they have this ceremony called Matriculation in which they are officially welcomed into the college. It was made to be this big thing and he had to wear this outfit which had weird flaps on it which you can see in the picture. The actual ceremony was only about 15 minutes. Typical Oxford...

No, he is not graduating, the mortar board is apart of the outfit.

"Zacula"

For the event, someone put lipstick on one of the statues outside of the Sheldonian (where they had Matriculation).

Zack walking with his college.


Zack running with his friends to the ceremony, because in Zack fashion, they were running late.

A church called St. Mary's.

Another picture of the Radcliff Camera and to the right is All Saints College.

I wanted you to see the massive amounts of bicycles in Oxford.


And this is how they lock them to anything they can.

The local Starbucks- a taste of home.

Cornmarket Street...what more can I say?

Cornmarket Street...

Whenever I say I am from Kentucky, people than reply, "like Kentucky Fried Chicken?" and I say, "exactly like Kentucky Fried Chicken".

This is George Street. It is right by where we live and it contains a lot of restaurants.

This is how people ride bikes on the street with cars. They are much more courteous than American bicyclists who stop up Akin road every Sunday morning.
So, all in all, we are very settled here and still loving it, but also missing home a little J
No comments:
Post a Comment