Tuesday, September 15, 2009
It all started with a 4 hour delay at the Louisville airport. This caused us to miss our 6:15 connection in Chicago to Heathrow. They booked us on the 10:00 to Heathrow. So we waited for 4 hours. When we got to O'Hare, we had 3 hours, so our plan was eat dinner once we found our gate. We had to travel to the international terminal, which meant taking a train and having to go through security again. Once we found our gate, we were informed that there is no food in the international terminal for safety reasons. We then boarded our flight and eagerly awaited the airplane provided dinner, which was served about two hours later. It was very late and I was completely exhausted by this time. I fell asleep and awoke when they were serving a breakfast. When I woke up I was felt miserable. Long story short, I got very sick (included throwing up, dizziness, and having to get oxygen by the flight attendants). The plane landed, we went through customs to baggage only to find, we had none. Four suitcases and none of them arrived. This was the worst part of it. So we took the bus to Oxford, got to our flat looked around, left and checked into a hotel for the night. We had no clothes, no toiletries, nothing. Luckily we took showers at the hotel and they provided robes that we were able to sleep in. What was not fun was waking up the next morning and having to put on our dirty clothes. We set off to buy stuff for our apartment. It is actually not a fun experience having to spend money on stocking a house when you already own everything you're buying. About 3:00 Monday, two of our 4 bags arrived. Thank God they were the two with our clothes and toiletries! Last night we were able to sleep in our flat on the most uncomfortable bed ever! My spine still hurts! But our flat is nicer than Zack or I expected (but do keep in mind, we had horribly low expectations). But it will definitely be a nice home for a year. So far I'm pretty sure our apartment complex consists of all Indians. I did meet one asian girl... but other than that, all Indians. Behind our complex is a beautiful river! I love walking past it to come home. Today we went to the Oxford Botanical Gardens which are the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen. I will post pictures of it and other things when my cord that connects my camera to my computer arrives. Other than that, we've enjoyed walking the streets. This might be the most beautiful city I've ever been in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Michelle! What an entertaining travel experience! I have checked your blog like 20 times today at work hoping that you would post an update. It's great to hear that you are there and safe. Can't wait to hear more from beautiful Oxford. Post pictures...lots of pictures!
ReplyDelete:( sorry its been such heartache- hope it gets better! take a walk to the Trout through that lovely field and you'll forgive England...
ReplyDelete